I dont know about you, but I hate New Years resolutions. I dont know what it is with resolutions, it’s almost like they are a license to fail at the things. Everyone makes them as the new year approaches, tries to live up to them and then two weeks later they admit defeat and forget about them.
With that said, I am taking a new approach to resolutions this year. Instead of resolving to do what I call the standards, ( eat better, lose weight, be less stressful, etc..),I’ve decided to compile a list of things I want to do in the coming year. This way, I will be doing things I like to do and hopefully enjoying things more. Instead of cursing at a salad because my resolution is to lose weight and I want a cheeseburger in place of the salad, I’ll be less likely to be miserable to the point of failing on a resolution I wasn’t fully committed to in the first place.
Now this isn’t me giving myself a pass on the standards, but without the “pressure” of a resolution I can go at them in a manner similar to the one I used when I finally stopped smoking over a decade ago. The secret at that time was told to me by a friend who said it was ok to fail today at quitting smoking as long as I tried to quit tomorrow. And if I failed tomorrow I could start over the next day and so on. Using that approach, I was able to completely quit smoking in a month. Now I dont expect the same results when I apply this technique or mindset to the usual suspects of the new years resolution but this way I’m not putting myself under the unwanted pressure of trying to stick to a resolution.
So if I’m not doing the resolution thing this year what am I going to do you might ask? Simple, I am going to focus on doing things that I enjoy and have been neglecting over the years. By taking this approach I am committing to things I would enjoy rather than torturing myself with things I’m not fond of.
So without any further ado, and in no particular order, here’s my too early, it’s not even Christmas yet list of things I want to do in 2020:
- Play bass guitar again- I bought a new bass last year started out strong with the practicing and then faded. This year I want to play more, learn songs I’ve wanted to learn, and become a better musician than I am
- Spend more time with friends and family – I have some wonderful friends that I dont see or hear from enough and thats primarily on me. I’m terrible at getting together with friends or family on the spur of the moment or reaching out to see how things are. Thats going to change, and I am going to spend more time with the people that I care about.
- Write more- I love writing, despite thinking that I suck at it. So I am going to write more this year. And I am going to write on multiple sites this coming year so that should fill the need to be creative with words.
- Walk more-I used to love taking Dallas to the woods and going for a walk while she ran 100mph all over the place. It was very relaxing and was something Crystal and I would do on a regular basis on the weekends. I think we need to get back to that.
- Watch less TV- I tend to watch a lot of TV , especially during football season, and I’d like to curtail that some. So instead of watching TV, I would like to become involved in some capacity with a football team, hopefully as a coach, which means I need to get some certifications under my belt which should result in me spending less time in front of the TV.
So there you have it, my list of things I want to do in 2020. Check back in a few months to see how I did.